Our School » About the School

About the School

The History of Mosheim School
This is the old school circa 1972. A special thank you to Lynn Hartman and his photography class of
The first Mosheim School, which was built after the Civil War, was located on the adjacent hill west of its present location. It existed under names which included Mosheim Institute, Mosheim Male and Female Institute, Holston Synodical College, and Mosheim College. The school was owned and operated by the Lutheran Church. The name "Mosheim" was given to the school in 1870 in honor of the renowned German Theologian, Johann Lorenz Von Mosheim.

Each day school opened with prayer and scripture reading, followed by commentaries on religion and morals. Very strict rules were observed. The attendance of Sunday School was a must. Lights were to be out in the dormitories at 10:00 P.M. Girls and boys were not allowed to speak to each other as they passed going to and from classes.

By 1890, the school needed more space, so a contract was awarded to build a larger three story building. This was located where the "Old Mosheim High School" stood before it was torn down in 1973 to make room for the present elementary building.
In 2003, the building once again saw a transformation. Thirteen classrooms, gymnasium, science lab, computer lab, library/media area, lunchroom, and administrative offices were added. This added over 49,000 square feet to the usable space. The two-story building was converted to house art, music, CDC, and ESP. PreK also was added into the former Kindergarten building.
Beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, Mosheim became a PreK through Fifth grade school with the creation of West Greene Middle School for students in Sixth through Eighth grades.

Mosheim School
Mosheim School